CCD 7th: Heaven + Hell + Purgatory (day 8)
Today, in our 7th grade pre-Confirmation class, we …
Write Jeopardy Questions — everyone made up Jeopardy questions about anything we learned so far. Some of the questions will be used for the Parent Teen Jeopardy in a couple weeks.
Our Lady of Guadalupe
- –apparition to Juan Diego
- –picked roses in winter
- –“eye” of Mary portrait
–Gangs using Rosaries (for protection?)
Heaven – the state of eternal life and union with God, for those that choose God (saints).
Hell – the state of permanent separation from God, reserved for those that reject God.
- Sheol (Hell) – Hebrew OT word for gloomy place beneath the earth for all dead, both righteous and evil.
- Gehenna (Hell) – Hebrew NT word refers to the place on the SW side of Jerusalem, used for a dumping ground for human waste, corpses, rotting matter, etc. with “fires” burning. Became a popular symbol for what Christians called “hell.” (See Mark 9:43-48, Luke 12:5)
Purgatory – a state of final purification that one may need following death, before heaven.
- finish Pop Quiz handout & prayer journal “God letters” (3 any + 3 events),
- do “Jeopardy Questions” handout (x 2)