CCD hs: grace + sin + service journal (day 9)
In our high school Confirmation class, we reviewed everything we learned to date using handouts of outlined points covered each day (basically our catechist notes). I then covered GRACE, SIN, and CONFESSION. The visual illustrations are my own (in parenthesis) that I used to teach these “highly religious” words to 7th graders years ago. (If you have any other suggestions or comments, please let me know.)
—Grace = free and undeserved gift of God’s love and life. (like “air”)
—Sanctifying Grace = supernatural gift from God where our sins are forgiven & are made holy. First receive thru Baptism & continually sanctified through all sacraments. (like “clean air“) Lost by mortal sin.
—Actual Grace = God’s impulse to help in our everyday lives. (like “sweet smells”)
—Sacramental Grace = graces specific to each sacrament. (like “satellite TV”)
—Sin = freely choosing to do something that we know is wrong and against God’s will; we can sin in thought, word, action, or by omission. (like “rejecting air”)
- it must be a grave matter
- we must know we are sinning
- we must freely choose to sin
—Venial Sin = a less serious offense that weakens our relationship with God. (like “smoking”)
—Sacrament of Reconciliation = by confessing mortal sins with a contrite heart to a priest (in persona Christi = in the person of Christ), we are reconciled with God and with the Church, the Body of Christ. Penance is the whole cycle of conversion, forgiveness and making reparation (repaying any debt) for our sins. This strengthens us to resist future temptations.
—CONFESSION Procedure …
- Spend some time reflecting on your actions and do a thorough examination of conscience.
- Go in the confessional & greet the priest.
- Make the sign of the cross together.
- Begin: “Bless me Father for I have sinned. It has been (time) since my last confession.”
- Confess your sins.
- Priest will speak to you and/or share something from Scripture.
- Priest will give you your penance.
- You will say the Act of Contrition.
- Priest will pray the prayer of absolution.
- Thank the priest & leave confessional.
- Spend some time doing your penance.
We finished the class by giving examples on their “Christian Service” Journal reflection that is due next time.
I'm a former Catholic seminarian (2007-09) discerning the Lord's call for my life. As I blog my discernment, I want to ask WWKD? (what would Kermit do) ... kidding aside ... "What IS the Lord doING?" and "How can I stay more aware of it everyday?" ... our journeys are too fruitful to keep to ourselves ... please share the gifts He graced you with so we can grow together growing the Kingdom, in Jesus name.
- Song about celibacy and priesthood
- Pastor Fr. Fernando Orejuela (A.I.C.) evicts Society of St. Vincent de Paul from St. Boniface Catholic Church in Pembroke Pines, FL
- Catholic wedding bells
- New Miami Archbishop Wenski!
- Catholic? Bon Jovi concert
- Happy 83rd Birthday, Holy Father!
- Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen
- Catholic Cartoon Blog
- Happy Resurrection Day!
- NFP vs Contraception, 7 skits
- IPF on TV (EWTN) with Fr Gabuzda
- Vatican praises The Simpsons
- Polish Pączki Day on Fat Thursday
- Ash Wednesday POLL … take it!
- CCD 7th: God the Son (day 17)
SJVCS Seminary Life Album
July '09 -- hospital chaplains @ IPF
Easter '09 -- Miami SJVCS friends
the Son always finds a break in let the clouds
Feb '09 -- school vocation talks @ AMHS
Feb '09 -- cold breakfast with brothers (Matias, Fenly & Randy), now at SVDP and Imad (at SJVCS)
Superbowl '09 -- eating great @ SJVCS
Sept '08 -- Worklist Coordinators?
St Raphael Chapel mural @ SJVCS
Sept '08 -- retreats @ SJVCS
"It's not easy being green"
- "Grace before meals" prayer from The Big Bang Theory
- David Crowder Band - "O Praise Him" (song)
- Natural Family Planning (NFP), Catholic birth-control
- CCD hs: Confirmation Commitment Mass (with Fr Whyte) (day 6)
- Polish Pączki Day on Fat Thursday
- rapping priest, Fr Stan Fortuna
- my SJVCS bros Anthony A & Michael H
- 592,702 hits